Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Unwrapping the Unexpected

These are my favorite part of spring. Vibrant pink standing out against dark trunks and branches.

It is hard to believe, but they are even prettier on dreary days. Rain-dampened bark seems black. And the flowers are such a stark contrast to the gloom it's hard not to smile a little when you see them.

Around my part of the city, these beauties are as common as daffodils. They line streets in neighborhoods. Their color is tucked in the woodsy edges of open fields. Their cheer is sprinkled into the perfectly manicured landscapes of bleak office buildings.

I see them every day, and I notice them every day. So I'm not sure why, on this particular day, they managed to awe me as they did. Perhaps it was because, while running endless errands in a spring shower, I turned into shopping center only to find these blooming in row after row after row after row - breathing life into a sea of asphalt and concrete.

It was an unexpected display in an unlikely place. And it was beautiful.



Earth's crammed with heaven, and every common bush afire with God.
~Elizabeth Barrett Browning



Today I'm over at Emily's unwrapping the common and the beautiful. Join me?

11 comments:

Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama said...

Spring is coming! Yay! Beautiful photos =)

Kelly Langner Sauer said...

"It is hard to believe, but they are even prettier on dreary days."

I believe it - oh, I miss them! Thanks for sharing!

ann ominous said...

those pictures are stunning!

Jill said...

Gracious, they are beautiful. Nothing blooming here yet (in NE) and I'm not exaggerating--I don't think we've seen the sun in 3-4 weeks.

Wendy said...

Oh, I love the cherry blossoms, and I love the Browning quote.

Life Is Crazy Beautiful said...

How beautiful! Here in southern Kansas the trees are still bare, but some are budding & we're seeing hints of green in the grass. It makes Spring Break seem a little early...but we can tell it's coming!

Lisa

Anonymous said...

I also love the Browning quote!

Vonda said...

I also love the Browning quote...

kelly@the blue muse said...

Lovely photos, where i live nothing is blooming yet, it is so nice to see that spring has arrived somewhere!

Kimberly said...

Love the photos! I'm still waiting for spring to arrive here in NJ. And the quote, one of my favorites:)

imoomie said...

Love these trees and how they burst out with beauty over night while we are sleeping and make our everyday something outstanding!