Monday, September 28, 2009

Sitting in Silence

Right now I sit at the tiny table in our screened back porch, pulling my sweater around my shoulders and fighting the chill in the morning air with a steaming cup of coffee. The creek behind our house chatters and babbles as it chases itself through the woods. A birdsong rings in the trees and somewhere in the distance a dog barks at nothing.

This morning I am finding that these few moments of simple quiet are likely to be the most valuable part of my day. Sitting in silence sounds like a simple thing, but it's never easy for me. I feel idle and useless when I sit without, at the least, a to-do list formulating in my mind. Being quiet, calm and still seems to go against my very nature.

This morning I sit in silence, because I ususally hit the ground running. I busily go about my day as if I can control the outcome with my worrying, my planning and my doing. And it has worn me out.

This morning I sit in silence, becase this is where my Father reminds me that He is the one with the plan. He is the one with the answers. He is the one who knows my path. He is the one that walks every step beside me.

So while the bed still sits unmade, the bathroom is still dirty and the dishes are still in the sink, I will sit in silence and I will meet with my Father.

The Lord is in His holy temple.
Let all the earth be silent before Him.
-Habakkuk 2:20-

6 comments:

abi & salvo said...

I loved this post. I found it so encouraging as it seems like that's were I am at the moment

Katie said...

thank you for sharing this Kristen. It is a beautiful reminder to my soul.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Great post and first one I read today....Have a blessed week

Grami's girls said...

Silence is a good thing. The Lord says "Be still and know that I am God."

Jessica/Proverb31girl said...

Great post. It's exactly what God's been speaking to me about lately. Silence really is beauty.

Anonymous said...

Just found your site. What a great message. This is exactly what I need to find the time to do. Sit in silence and listen to my Lord. Thank you for sharing!