Friday, December 5, 2008

My Toy Land Garland

I finally did more work on our Christmas decor yesterday. Mostly our mantle. Kimba and the Nester have fabulous, luscious garlands strung up on their mantles. Go ahead. Go look at them and drool. I'll still be here when you get back. Back? Okay. I was really excited to make my own garland and have it turn out just as fluffy and fantastic as these. But then I remembered that I haven't had nearly as long to collect odds and ends like they have. So I made do.

Ta da! My poor camera is on it's last leg and so pictures tend to be blurry--really blurry. Would you believe it if I told you I was standing only three feet away from my mantle? Anyway, I took the easy way out on this one. I just twisted together the only two garlands I had and then mixed in a very short string of lights (notice it only overs the middle section?). I wasn't quite sure what to stick in it since I don't have fun feathers or starfish or angel wings or anything like that.

The only decorative thing we had left was a box of Christmas ornaments. Some of them are old toys from when Hubby was little. I opted to throw in those and added a few glass balls tied with ribbon. So if you come to visit, look carefully and you'll see this guy peaking out at you (my great-grandmother made him).






On the other end you might find a boat setting sail on a great sea of green (one of Hubby's baby ornaments).







And dangling over the edge you'll see one or two of these folks clinging to a branch for dear life (also great-grandma creations).





There you have it. My lovely little attempt at a Toy Land garland. My plan for the rest of the mantle is to remove the candlesticks and add a couple vases with Paperwhites to add some height.

And for those of you who have asked, we still have not decided on what to do about our Christmas tree. We have endeavored to decided and make a purchase this weekend. So hopefully Monday I will have pictures posted as proof. Now that I said that, I feel like I have to keep my word. Thanks, blogland, for keeping me accountable.

Happy Weekend!

29 comments:

Denise said...

Your mantle turned out beautifully! Great job!

Dropping by from SITS! Have a great day.

sandy said...

That looks great!

Tiffany said...

That's beautiful! We have a mantle in our living room of our new house and I really should make a garland for it. It looks kind of bare right now. You've inspired me!

violetposy said...

Beautiful Fireplace it looks really festive. Thanks for sharing!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Your garland looks so pretty! And I never noticed the lights till you pointed it out. The toy ornaments in there look so festive and lovely, and really add a sentimental touch: bringing memories back and intertwining both of your Christmas pasts into a beautiful Christmas Present! :)

Teresa said...

what a clever idea! and it looks great-
Thanks for sharing-
Merry Christmas

Becoming Me said...

I love it. SO pretty.

Arleen said...

I love what you've done with your garland. Choosing a theme adds such charm! Thank you for sharing your ideas and photographs with us. ~Arleen

April said...

what a cute idea!! I love it!!

Jan and Tom's Place said...

Great job...with the mantle and garland.

Anonymous said...

Great Grandma is smiling down from Heaven that her PIXIES have made it to another generation

Sugar Mommy said...

I love that you used little bits of your history to make your garland. What a wonderful conversation piece, and a beautiful garland, too! :)

Pennies In My Pocket said...

It's just beautiful!!! I never thought about doing garland like that...I LOVE the idea and now I'm inspired! :)

~melody~

Mc Allen said...

wow, your house looks beautiful!! Makes me want to do some more, lol!! and Great pics! ;) LA

the pleasures of homemaking said...

I love the whimsy that the toys give your garland! I think you did a wonderful job on it and it looks really pretty!

Manuela

Jinx said...

I think your mantle turned out quite lovely!

Thanks for sharing!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Oh, I am getting so jealous of all the lovely garland and decor you girls are doing for the holidays! Love your garland! Me? Packing for the move. So not as fun.

Sigh.

Swooning and dreaming of next year!

xo

blessings,
melissa

Lysa TerKeurst said...

I love the string of memories that ties your garland together. How precious to tuck your favorite childhood ornaments within,

Love it! Love it!

Have a happy day!

Mom in High Heels said...

How sweet that is. I love it.

Kristi said...

Oh, the toys are such a fun addition. Fab garland! Christmas blessings to you and your family!

Denise K. said...

How fun to do a toyland garland!!! Very festive! :-)

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Your garland is so lush and pretty. I absolutely adore it!

The Nester said...

love the boat--its so true, you can put anything in a garland and it will still look good!

Biteofpunkinpie said...

oh its so cute! i never thought about putting toys in a garland. that would look so much better with the rest of my decor, I think i will go that route next year!

Miss G said...

a toyland garland is a really fun theme! great job! Kelly

Bonita said...

I love your garland!

LuLu & Co said...

Just wonderful!

Marci said...

Really Pretty! I love the theme.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, so sweet! I love how you incorpated the toys! :-)

XO,

Sheila